02 July, 2004

Standing O

Rob and I were driving about yesterday and something in our discussion triggered my thinking to think about the ridiculous nature of the Standing Ovation in this town. I'd swear that a crappy Steven Segal impersonator would get a Standing O here. People seem to be thrilled to their core by just about any performance art that manages to come to this town: whether a local phenom or something travelling through. So thrilled that they can't help but to rise to their feet at the end of the show.

It's terrible.

I've seen practically every performance of every show for the last three years get a Standing Ovation. Most of the shows were just not Standing O material. Certainly a good show, but not great.

I'm not sure, but I think I've seen a film get an S.O., too.

It makes me feel like I'm living in a low-brow, arts-starved desert. Come to think of it...

Where the hell is the thrill of giving (or receiving) a Standing O if it is done all the time? How does one express appreciation of an over-the-top performance? If the Standing O has lost its significance, I suppose a Naked Standing O would be the next generation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home