06 July, 2004

1776

Saturday, 3 July 2004 was the target date for my annual "1776" party this year. I was a little apprehensive about this year's party because the last time I tried to watch this movie, I was by myself and wanted to try watching it while high. While not quite what I'd call a disaster, the movie just did not grab me, and I could only watch the first> few scenes. I gave up.

Well, this time I knew I wasn't going to be watching it alone, but I did plan to be high - so I wasn't sure if I'd find the movie to be boring a second time.

I needn't have worried. The party was great fun for me, including the movie. Joe Barron brought three pounds of sausage and more chicken. He grilled it up on the gas grill on the patio - so it was fresh and hot. That, alone, was enough of a 'home run,' but the food kept on coming. And everyone ate plenty.

I ate too much. So did Rob.

It was one of the better attended "1776" parties. I think there were at least 13 people there. Including Ruthie Johnsons who came in from Houston for it. She got there about an hour early so we could chill and hang. We did that, and continued after the party, too. She's even cooler than I'd expected. She and Rob 'grooved.' Rob and I felt that she was a lot like his Andrea. I had to agree. And then suggested that we ought to figure out a way to get the two of them together... and then watch to see what happens. Ruthie liked the suggestion, too.

Denny mentioned having seen more stuff in the movie, "It gets better with each viewing." Even I saw a new thing or two. But, after the disappointing pot-induced viewing of the start of this film - when I was solo - I just could not get so excited about having just seen it again.

Ray started a motion, which got a second, that next year we watch The Theatre Company's version of it. Although I really didn't want to do that, I said nothing, because:

  1. It's my party, so I can choose what I show.
  2. I don't intend to be around by this time next year!
Each little annoying thing now just is one more reason to get out of here and in to Portland.

Clean up after the party was pretty easy. Ruthie stayed around a while longer for the three of us to bond some more. She, of course, didn't want to leave. She was staying with her sister in Bryan - and had until about midnight to get there.

It was sad to let her leave, but, man, what a great visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home