23 November, 2004

professional

"You're probably more professional than any of us," the boss noted. But then he went on to inform me, once again, of my inadequacies where it comes to working at least eight hours per day. "I really don't want to get to the point of checking up on you," he says. The thing is, he does this already. Regularly. It seems that not a week goes by that he doesn't come into the office in the early afternoon and asks Joe where I am. Joe says that it's clear from the question that he is checking up on my presence. I have no reason to doubt Joe's estimation of the situation.

So I guess he means that he does not want to get the point of having me punch a timeclock.

Oh wait. Timeclock is for hourly people. WTF?

It occurs to me that in my ten years as a full-timer in this department, there was exactly one time issue - with Tony Hockenberry as the complainer - in my first year. And, as far as I know, this was a verbal complaint to Wayne; nothing was put on paper. At the time, Wayne just wanted me to do whatever was necessary to get Tony off of his back - which I did. Everyone knows that Tony likes to raise hell on procedural minutae, so this was really no big deal. Of course, what I'm getting at here is that there were absolutely no complaints about my work - any aspect of it - in all the time I've worked here. It was only after the new boss shows up that there are issues. My work habits have not changed, (with the exception of me feeling a bit more stress where time is concerned, and making some time choices based on that stress) nor has my work quality. There's never been an issue with my work quantity, either.

The only issue is one that is Ken's particular 'bent.' He even acknowledged yesterday that, "probably no one else cares about this stuff." This said after he summarized some attitudes towards time in the organization to which he takes exception. Things like, "I worked thru lunch, so I'm leaving early." He says that these things are happening much too frequently without him being told.

Well, shit. I guess he needs more real work to focus on.

I'm trying to make notes about this stuff so that I have it ready for the day that I turn in my resignation. I feel strongly that I ought to bring some of these issues up to him when that day comes - for the sake of my current co-workers, if for nothing else. So, I want to have this stuff well-documented and enumerated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home