21 September, 2004

"You're killing me, Smalls!"

Try as I might, my memory of exact phrases that were used in conversation or in movies is not perfect. This is nowhere as evident as when I'm trying to quote some line when Rob is present. His memory is like fly paper - he remembers more of the most detailed minutae than anyone else I know. As such, he is always correcting me when I quote. Whether I get it right or wrong (with a correction) I usually get my point across. However, if the intent of my quote was to be funny, the moment is usually lost if I get it wrong (well, if I get it wrong, and then Rob is there to correct me!).

Sometimes, my misquote is more funny than the original quote would have been. This happened not too long ago. It was during this last several months of Rob living here with me. I was trying to quote the line from The Sand Lot where Smalls is just not getting the game of baseball and one of the sand lot guys, exasperated, says, "You're killing me, Smalls!" The context was perfect for me to nail this quote - unfortunately, I don't recall it. I don't remember what brought that quote to me, but it was something that Rob had done or was doing. The quote came out, "You're killing me, Shorts!"

Something didn't sound quite right to me.

I think it was the sound of Rob guffawing.

My misquote was so funny to him that any humor that might have come from me quoting correctly was incredibly overshadowed by it. Now it has become a strong part of Rob's and my history.

Now I have the option of quoting the movie or myself: whichever is funniest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home